Active Citizen Profile – Carolyn Calder

Carolyn Calder

Carolyn Calder is involved in Aim 4 and leads a Williamsburg Engagement trip to Head Start each week.

Carolyn’s thoughts on active citizenship: “To me, active citizenship is about constant engagement with your community in an effort to improve the lives of those around you. Active citizenship doesn’t take a break– in all of your actions, you have to think about how this can impact your community and how you can be of better service to your community. Active citizenship is cool, because it allows you to let community engagement permeate every aspect of your life. ”

Carolyn’s favorite quote: “Having a right isn’t worth a damn if you can’t exercise it.”- Cecile Richards, president of PP

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Melody Porter. Bookmark the permalink.

About Melody Porter

Hello blogosphere! I am a long-time fan of human connection. I used to say that my major in college (above my actual political science & religion double major) was in friendships. Conversations over long meals or late nights on dorm hallway floors have been transformative in my life, and it only makes sense to me to dip my toe into new ways of opening up conversation here. I have worked at William and Mary since August 2008, and am Associate Director in the Office of Community Engagement. I spend my time fostering student leadership through alternative breaks. Doing so lets me fulfill what I understand my calling to be about: working for social justice in the world, and equipping others to do so with skill, sensitivity and great love. I earned my Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Religion from Emory University, and then served as a long-term volunteer for three years, beginning a job development program in Philadelphia and working with preschool children in Johannesburg, South Africa. I earned a Master of Divinity from the Candler School of Theology in 2001, with a focus in religious education. I managed a nonprofit family literacy program with immigrant and refugee families, and then served as Associate Minister at First United Methodist Church of Germantown in Philadelphia, working in areas of social justice and community development, and directing an after school program that served more than 100 high school students. Then, I returned to Emory to serve for three years as director of Volunteer Emory, a student-led department for community service. I believe in the power of mutual connection and service to transform lives and create social change. I also love cheese fries.